Patients with epilepsy exercise less than the general population. A barrier to exercise may be the effect of antiepileptic drugs on balance and reaction time. This proposal endeavors to study the effect of two common antiepileptic drugs (levetiracetam and lamotrigine) on balance and reaction time using a Wii balance board and reaction time test. This will be tested at descending doses in an epilepsy monitoring unit. Drug levels will be monitored, as well as center of pressure, and reaction time.
Ages Eligible for Study: 16 Years to 55 Years (Child, Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study: All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers: Yes
- Focal or generalized epilepsy
- On a stable dose of AEDs defined by no medication changes within the last month.
- On levetiracetam or lamotrigine monotherapy
- Inability to stand independently for 30 seconds
- Peripheral neuropathy
- History of stroke or previous brain surgery
- Seizure within last 24 hours