The new year always sparks renewed motivation in the fight against epilepsy, but 2019 also brings a new way to increase awareness and understanding: Seizing Life, a CURE podcast!
Released weekly, Seizing Life is hosted by CURE Board Member Kelly Cervantes. Episodes feature interviews with members of the epilepsy community on topics including creating individualized education plans, how raising special needs children can impact a marriage, and epilepsy genetics.
Seizing Life launches later this month. You can watch the trailer and read more about this exciting new podcast below.
Also in this update…
- Raise Epilepsy Awareness and Funds for Research as a CURE Champion!
- CURE Scholar Derek Vielhauer on How His Scholarship Is Helping Him Become an Agent of Change
Laura S. Lubbers, PhD
Seizing Life, a CURE Podcast, Launches This Month!
Seizing Life, a weekly CURE podcast hosted by CURE Board Member Kelly Cervantes, brings you inspirational and helpful stories from those impacted by epilepsy. Kelly interviews patients, advocates, caregivers, and medical professionals to bring the critical need for epilepsy research to the forefront, while teaching empathy and inspiring hope.
Check out a sneak peek of Seizing Life:
Raise Epilepsy Awareness and Funds for Research as a CURE Champion!
Use your unique talents to host a CURE Champion event or campaign! As a CURE Champion, you will bring fun, enthusiasm, and awareness to your community, while raising vital funds for groundbreaking research.
Getting started is easy…
- Decide what your event or campaign will be. You can host a dance class, art exhibition, 5K run, bake sale, or online birthday fundraiser. Be creative!
- Set up a fundraising page. Your page can be on our platform, Facebook, or your own website.
- Tell CURE about your event. We’re here to help by promoting your event online and by providing you with promotional materials. Please reach out to us at events@CUREepilepsy.org or 312.255.1801.
- Spread the word! Use social media, email, and word-of-mouth to let your community know about your event. Share why raising funds for epilepsy research is so critical and encourage people to join you as an attendee, donor, sponsor, or volunteer!
Have an idea, but aren’t sure how to get started? Our Development Team would love to hear it and help! Reach out to events@CUREepilepsy.org or 312.255.1801.
CURE Scholar Derek Vielhauer on How His Scholarship Is Helping Him Become an Agent of Change
Each year, CURE is pleased to offer Education Enrichment Fund (EEF) scholarships, made possible by the generous support of Lundbeck, to those impacted by epilepsy, their families, and their caregivers.
In 2018, we awarded one of these $5,000 scholarships to Arizona State University (ASU) student Derek Vielhauer, who was diagnosed with epilepsy as an infant. He says epilepsy defined the first seventeen years of his life, but also gave him a passion for advocacy and research.
“With this generous scholarship, I have been able to continue working towards my dream of graduating with a Bachelor of Science and Engineering in biomedical engineering. In addition to researching methods to address neural deficits at ASU, I am collaborating with a neurosurgeon at Mayo Clinic and with an ASU neural engineer to develop innovative medical technology for patients suffering from neuro-diseases.
“I could not do this without the financial support the CURE EEF scholarship has provided me. This scholarship allows me to continue pushing forward through the rigorous engineering program without the financial worries which would exist otherwise.”
– Derek Vielhauer
You could become one of our 2019 EEF scholars. We’re accepting applications until April 15, 2019. For details regarding eligibility requirements, please click here or contact CURE at scholarship@CUREepilepsy.org.